Fusing and bisque forming in a multi-purpose kiln

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Fusing and bisque forming in a multi-purpose kiln

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    glassy
    Participant

Hi everybody,

I recently bought a multi-purpose kiln. I purchased it mainly for two reasons:

1. I want to design bisque molds for fusing. 

2. It allows me to do draping of floral vases which I could never do in my shallow kiln.

Now I have decided glazing ceramics might be fun, too, but I am getting mixed signals from fusers. I was told I should never use glazes in my multi-purpose kiln if I plan to use it for glass fusing, too. They claim the glazes can leave a residue inside the kiln that can not be eliminated by vacuuming, and that this material can cause the glass to become murky.

I’m confused! If the kiln is designed to do both ceramics and glass, and I am forbidden to use ceramic glazes, than the kiln is actually not multi-purpose.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

glassy

alienor
    Participant

as a potter firing in a large (7 cu.ft) i think you should be able to use the kiln for both, tho not at the same time.  for more accurate information you should contact howard arnold <arnoldhoward@att.net>. at paragon kilns. even if you don’t have a paragon he is usually most helpfull and available to answer questions such as yours.

good luck

Stephen Richard
    Participant

Why not find a friendly ceramics person who will let you fire something you have already done in their kiln.  Then you can lcompare results.   I think the marking mentioned is more likely to be devitrification due to slow cooling, than residues from the glazes, which have a lot of glass as well as metals in them.

Stephen Richard

blogs at: http://www.verrier-glass.blogspot.com/ and  http://www.glasstips.blogspot.com/

gracescott
    Participant

Hey Glassy,

I spoke to the vendor who sold me my glass kiln about the same thing.  He said that firing bisque is fine as long as you can get the temperature high enough.  They make molds all the time. But he also warned that it’s not the clay that’s the problem, it’s the glazes.  The fumes can leave residue in the bricks which will fire onto the glass in successive firings.  They ran into that problem.  Now they’ve got a kiln that leaves yellow “pee” colored spots on clear glass.  UGH.  He didn’t say specifically which glaze caused the problem, but it’s a risk I wasn’t willing to take, waxing my glass kiln that cost a fortune when I could buy a used clay kiln for a couple hundred dollars or just take to a local clay shop that will fire it for me in a proper clay kiln for $7, you know what I’m saying?  Talk to Paragon, or whoever manufactured your kiln and ask them specifically which glazes they recommend so that it doesn’t expire your warranty.  That’s what I’d do.   Good luck!

-G

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx