FULL ramp??? HELP

Home Forums FusedGlass.Org Website Help Forum Help FULL ramp??? HELP

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    FusionJulie
    Participant

Hello – I am new to fusing and this site.  I have a silly question, what does FULL mean for the ramp speed when you have a target of 1515?  Am I to set the rate to 1515/hr?  Still learning!!!

I have a Paragon Caldera with Sentry Xpress 4.0 Digital Controller.

Many Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

“FULL” tells the kiln to heat (or cool) as quickly as possible – as in “full speed”.  For heating, this means elements on until you reach the target.  For cooling, elements off until you reach the target.

You program FULL by entering 9999.

1515 is the target – not the ramp speed.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

macmamma
    Participant

I have the exaxt same kiln as you.  Full means “As Fast As Possible.”  In most cases you will be heating your glass up slowly and once it is past the 2nd or 3rd segment (when thermal shock danger has passed) you can many times safely bring the heat up FULL — As Fast As Possible. In your case, let’s say your glass had reached 1150ºF and your next desired target temp. was 1515ºF.  By programing in “FULL”  speed the kiln would increase the temp. from 1150ºF to 1515ºF  as fast as it could. It’s just like running faster when your near the finish line.  In previous segments you may have programmed it to heat up at 300ºF per hour until it reached a desired target temp.

Another time you will use “FULL” is whan your glass has reached its maxium heat target temp. and it’s time to cool the glass down.  You’ll want to bring it down “FULL” speed from 1515ºF to let’s say 960ºF.  At 960ºF the glass will soak for a set time.

Does your kiln have a window?  I don’t want to confuse you, but do yourself a favor and learn how to use the middle red arrow button on the controller.  This allows you to change the the target temp. in the cycle you are in.  Many times you’ll look at your piece during the final heating segement and want to add or decrease the temp. or you’ll want to increase the hold time or skip a segment.

Hope this helps,

Nancy

FusionJulie
    Participant

Thank you so much Paul for answering my post!

Julie

FusionJulie
    Participant

Hello Nancy,

I am already confused, so not too worry!  I do not have a window on my kiln – wish I had chosen to get one though.  As I don’t have a window I am afraid to open the lid at extreme heat for fear of something happening to me or the glass.  Is it safe to do that?  I didn’t even know that I could change things during the program.  I have much to learn.  I am going to be fusing some pendants today – actually they are pendants that I already fused but I think I did not have the temp high enough as they did not melt completely to my desired look I was going for.  Thank you for sharing and answering my post.

Julie

macmamma
    Participant

There really is a lot to learn.  I’ve had my kiln since May and I’ve learned so much.  The kiln can be opened but only when it is past the thermal shock temp.  I LOVE having a window in mine.  When opening it to view your work you have to be very careful!!!  You also have to be very careful even with the window.  When I 1st got my kiln I was so fasinated watching my projects transform that I was gazing in the kiln for long periods of time. I was wearing protective glasses, but I was not thinking about protecting my face.  A few days later my face began to dry out drastically. I got a major sunburn from my kiln.  I now wear a welders shield, gloves and a shirt that protects my chest. Because the protective shade  on the welders shield it obscures my vision a bit so I hold a small flash light up to the window to view my work.  Oh, and by the way, watch out for that too, because I’ve already melted one flashlight.

What temp. did you do your first fire at?  For full fuse in my caldera I need to take it to about 1530ºF and hold it for about 5-10 minutes. I then bring it down as fast as possible FULL to 960ºF and hold to for 45min or more. That is based on using Bullseye COE90 standard glass.

Have fun and enjoy the journey!!

Nancy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx