Float Glass Advice

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Float Glass Advice

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JHible18
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Pre-warning: I am a newbie so please excuse all the questions! I looked around on the forum and didn’t see them answered anywhere, but please forgive me if they were. :)

I recently started glass fusing and love it. My parents are building a new house and have tons of old window glass. It is not in frames – just the glass itself. I know it can’t be fused with anything else because of the COE, but I just want to be sure that it is safe to put into a kiln. Is there any kind of glass that should NOT go into the kiln?

My good friend owns a window business so I can get tons of it, but he was asking what kind I prefered? Tempered? Old leaded (sounds scary), etc. Any ideas?

Also, I am in the market for a kiln. My glass teacher is a distributor for Olympic. Has anyone had good/bad experiences that they could share? I’m not opposed at all to buying a different brand. Just trying to gather opinions!

Thanks so much!

Jennie

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Jennie,

There are lots of excellent techniques for using float in a kiln (which is absolutely safe) – but they are generally different from the types of things people do with System 96/Uro/Bullseye.  Firing temperatures (and schedules in general) usually run about 100 degrees F higher with float tha “fusible” glass.  It also has a much higher tendency to devitrify – so consider an overspray (like Super Spray).

Slumping, kiln-carving, and using enamels all work well with float.

You can remove the temper from glass heating and re-annealing it.

Paul

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

Webetilin
    Participant

I am also new to fusing and this site.  I am confused about the difference between float glass and fusing glass.  What determines which uou would use?

I really love this site, thanks so much for,sharing this wealth of informatin.

Flee at webetilin’ Studios

http://www.facebook.com/webetilin

http://www.webetilinstudios.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx