first drape attempt

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion first drape attempt

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mothsgal
    Participant

Hello! I’m getting ready to drape my first piece (I’ve pnly slumped up to this point). I’ve read that you should keep an eye on the progress in the kiln so the drape doesn’t move too far. I have a Skutt ceramics kiln which has been working wonderfully for everything I’ve done so far.  I’m very conservative with firing schedules because the elements are along the sides, but I’m lucky that it’s deep enoug to attemp taller piece. I do not have a viewing window. The door is a hinged top that I can lift.  Do I just lift the lid and peek inside to see how it’s doing?  At what point do I start to do that and how often should I peek?  Once it get’s to the point I want it (or maybe just before accouting for continued movement after that point) do I just turn the kiln off? I have aprogrammable kiln so how do I get the final annealing and cool back on schedule if I stop the firing early? I should add that the piece has different layers ranging from small areas of single layer to areas of 3 layers of 3mm glass that are already soft fused.

Thanks so muh for all your wondeful and valuable advice!!

Kathy

wordana
    Participant

Yes, just open the lid and peek. I would probably wait until the temp was > 1000 deg F, since the glass isn’t going to move before then anyway (actually, it probably won’t start budging until 1100 or greater). Check every 5 or 10 minutes. Keep in mind that the kiln temp drops a little every time you peek, so you are slowing down progress :).

If your kiln has a programmable controller, then it also has a “skip segment” function. For instance on a couple of my controllers you press the up arrow until you see SSeg (or something like that), then press the enter key. The kiln will move on to the next segment, which is probably your anneal.

Make sure you have an adequate annealing schedule to account for your differences in thickness. Also, make sure not to “rush things” by raising the temp too high — given that you have a single layer of glass in places, you want to make sure the glass bends, rather than stretches (if it stretches, it could get too thin and tear).

Dana W.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

jestersbaubles.blogspot.com

Mothsgal
    Participant

Thanks, Dana!  I will check my manual for my programmable controller (Skutt).  If that function is there, so I (as in your case) use the up arrow (or whatever my kiln requires) during the segment I want to “skip” thus ending that segment at that point and moving it immediately to the next (anneal) segment?  And would I do that when the piece is at the point that I want it to stay or slightly before taking into account that it will probably move a little until it cools a bit?

I’m pretty conservative with temps and it’s working out so far, but I have no idea what “too high” would be.  I’m going to start with a small piece and see how I do.

Thanks again!!

Kathy

wordana
    Participant

Yes, the skip basically terminates the current segment and moves on to the next segment in the program.

What I mean by not rushing it is often, if the glass isn’t moving fast, people add temperature rather than just waiting more time. To a certain extent, that is OK, but at some point, the glass is hot enough that it starts to stretch more than you would prefer.

Dana W.

Fused Glass Designs

dba Jester’s Baubles

http://jestersbaubles.blogspot.com/

Mothsgal
    Participant

Perfect, Dana!!  Thanks again! I actually feel confident enough to move forward!  I’ll post a pic of what I come up with if interested.  

Thanks!

Kathy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx