Firing Schedule Question

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Firing Schedule Question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    LizG
    Participant

I am new to fusing and I have a question about the firing schedules as far as layers are concerned.

If my piece has some stacks of glass that are three layers and others are two layers, do I use the schedule for three layers?

I’m a potter that has become enthralled with hot glass. I have been buying books and stalking hot glass websites and forums for months. I have assembled several pieces and now I’m stuck at the putting them in the kiln and just firing them! HA!

I have a Paragon Janus 27 pottey/glass kiln and I haven’t done any glass yet. It holds a 26″ kiln shelf so I’m hoping to do some larger pieces eventually.

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give me!

This forum was a great find Laughing

~LizG

WildcatBeth
    Participant

While I’m no Paul Tarlow or fused glass queen, I think you will want to use a fusing schedule for the 3 layer, as it will take longest for those pieces to heat all the way through and they will need a slower annealing period too. If you used the 2 layer, the 3 layers would not be heated thoroughly nor would they have long enough to anneal properly.  I don’t think the longer firing would result in any damage to your 2 layers. Just my two cents but I’m relatively novice at firing my own kiln so may wait until Paul answers you.

LizG
    Participant

Thanks for the response.

I was kinda leaning that way, but it’s good to have the reasons pointed out.

I have so much to learn!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx