Fire Polishing schedule help

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Fire Polishing schedule help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Carrie.L
    Participant

I need some advice on fire-polishing a piece as I have never done this before. It was fully fused to 1/4″ using System 96 transparent and opal glass. Finished size is about 9 1/2″ diameter. The edges were uneven, so I used a fine grinding bit all the way around to even them out. I then cleaned the entire piece and used a soft toothbrush on the re-worked edges. I understand that fire-polishing is the best method to remove the grinding marks and give a glossy rounded finish. Would someone be able to provide a fire-polishing schedule? The one’s I have found on-line use anywhere from 3, 5 to 8 segments. With so many variations, I’m a uncertain which one to use. Your help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Carrie,

You can find a schedule on this site here:

Firing Schedules

Here are some additional tips:

• Remember that all kilns fire differently AND every type of glass has a slighly different melting temperature.  For the best results, run some tests in your kiln on the same kind of glass to find the ideal top temperature.
    • When firing a piece with ground edges, avoid shelf and fiber paper in the kiln. The smoke that is created when the binder burns off can cause hazing on ground edges.  A freshly kiln-washed shelf works best.

Good luck

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

Carrie.L
    Participant

Thank you, Paul, for the link and the valuable tips.

Carrie

dpfans
    Participant

I have fired my kiln for a whole 5 days so far and am pretty much clueless but it is going pretty well.  These schedules should help immensely!  Thank YOU!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx