Favorite Artists (glass and non glass)

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Favorite Artists (glass and non glass)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

My favorite glass artist is Bertil Vallien.  You can see some of his work here:
    http://www.bertilvallien.com/gallery.htm

Bertil Vallien - Other
    My favorite non-glass artist is René Magritte.  I always enjoyed his work – but when I saw one version of his Empire of Light at the Menil Collection in Houston it really captured me.

Empire of Light - Rene Magritte

How about others?  Who is the artist that inspires you?  Do you know why?
    Paul

kia_dallons
    Participant

My favorite glass artist is Dylan Kehde Roelofs. I just bought one of his sculptures, and I can’t wait for it to arrive! I love the turn-of-the-last-century feel to them, and the obvious technical expertise. It’s what happens when a scientific glass blower is also an artist. :D

Incandesentsculpture.com

Otherwise.. of course I’m found of a lot of artists, but my first love was  Alphonse Mucha. This is my sentimental favorite, as I first became aware of his work in 1987 when I was working in a pre-press graphics shop, and did the color separations for the reprint of this poster! As a line artist myself, it’s the heavy quality and flow of his lines that appeal most to me, but I also love his sense of color. 

-Kia

Lyn
    Participant

Wow, thanks for the introduction to two great glass artists. I live in a flurry of inspiration, others artistic work and just the most simple things in nature.

Lyn

kia_dallons
    Participant

Yeah! I found inner self-reflection theme of the "Janis" sculptures really inspiring. :)   

sandragarofalo
    Participant

Many years before I started with warm glass I was the creative director for a company and created a postcard for a Dale Chihuly exhibit. His work in the New York Gallery was only to be viewed in the dark with only his glass illuminated. I was blown away. I guess in a way this stuck in the back of my mind and kept be drawn to glass as a medium to explore warm and not just cold as the stain glass I had been doing in the past. That mans work still awes me to no end. I do not know how to attach a pix to this note but please check out his website www.chihuly.com.

I teach Advertising Art and Design to gifted 11th and 12th graders and inspiration is always an issue. I always say that inspiration comes from what is around you all the time, things that you possibly might take for granted. It’s all about seeing.

My non-glass artist that inspires me is a tough choice, I draw different types of inspiration from many different periods of art in general. I guess If I had to choose one artist it would be Renoir. Love his use of colors, composition, and light.

Thanks for asking :)

Sandi Garofalo

Have a creative day!

katkramer
    Participant

One of my favorite glass artists is Richard Satava, out of Chico, CA. 

I visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium about 8 years ago and remember seeing a glass jellyfish in the gift store.  It was about 10" high, and I was mesmerized.  It looked so realistic.

At the time I hadn’t really started doing anything with glass, but was fascinated with glassblowing. 

A couple of years ago I finally purchased one of his pieces for my parents.  They have a "layaway plan" and I broke it up into payments.  I think the 6" one I purchased was about $450.  When I finally received the piece, I had it in my office and a coworker said "be careful, those things will sting you if that breaks…"  He thought it was a real jellyfish in a water globe.  It was absolutely amazing.

He also does ocean- and fossil-themed glass vases, and paperweights with little jellyfish.  Check out his website at http://www.satava.com

glassmomma
    Participant

My favorite glass artist is Steve Immerman……….  http://www.clearwaterglass.com

His work is amazing!!  And, he hails from the great state of Wisconsin!   :-)

charlesjohney3
    Participant

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your responses – and my introduction to Abstract/Contemporary that you build every day.Flamingo Video – White board animation I have a propensity to think of color and light in images of landscapes and faces. It is a gladness for me to view your work in all subjects, obvious or not – but always interesting! I look forward to learning more.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx