Dull White blotches after a number of refusing, is this because of refusing?

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Dull White blotches after a number of refusing, is this because of refusing?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    shirleywhitby
    Participant

I create a tile of  multiple colours in 4 layers. Then I cut into strips, turn these strips and refuse. Upto 3 firings everthing is fine. I have just finished a cycle where on the 4th firing I filled in with small pieces of Bulls eye glass between the gaps of the strips. When it came out of the kiln small blotches of dull white have appeared both on the surface and in the body of the fuse.

Is this effect because I have fused too many times or have anybody else experienced this effect.

wordana
    Participant

The “white splotches” are likely devitrification, which can be caused by a number of issues, including improper cleaning. There are devit sprays (store-bought or home-made) that can be used and the piece can be refired. Or, you can sprinkle a fine layer of clear powder over the piece and refire.

“Google” fused glass devitrification and you will find a lot of information.

Dana W.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx