Donations to schools

Home Forums Glassifieds Stuff Wanted Donations to schools

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    glassartguy
    Participant

I used to teach glass art and Materials Science (glass being one of the materials)  at a public high school. I was able to get by with the help of a glass donation from Spectrum. I have transfered to another school which is a state residency program for dropouts run by the National Guard. Here is the problem: With the number of kids that I will be teaching, the Spectrum donation will not cover our needs. Does anyone out there in Glass Art Land know of other programs/suppliers that are willing to help with glass or tools? I understand about paying for shipping/crating and the like. I do have a budget, but as we all know Glass art is sooooo expensive. Thanks for any help. 

petra kaiser
    Participant

Have you considered fusing with float glass/flat glass/window glass? You can get the clear glass locally from a glass business often for free and Armstrong Glass in Atlanta is selling a line of Float Fire products which are compatible with flat glass. Also The KBW Education Art Glass Foundation might be able to help you with your program.

Good Luck

petra kaiser

glassartguy
    Participant

Petra, Yes, actually. I pick up glass almost daily from a local glass place, on my way to/from work. I have the students learn to cut float glass, and their first two stained glass assignments use float. Also, we do sandblasting and fusing with float. The kids do amazing work fusing clear on clear. Unfortunately, with a 20 week clas cycle, it just isn’t nearly enough. Thanks for your suggestion, maybe someone else will find out how much fun firing float glass can be, becase of your post.

Glassartguy

mterry
    Participant

What about teaching them about inclusions, found objects, mica and paints to use with the float glass? You might be able to get some scrap metal foil or very thin sheet from a local fabricator. Also, you can try using scrap tempered glass for casting, making a bowl, lamp, etc.

Some of the people I have heard from that use only float still have colorful pieces, just more of a challenge.

Marge

http://www.TerryStudios.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Petra wrote:

>> Armstrong Glass in Atlanta is selling a line of Float
    >> Fire products which are compatible with flat glass

Has anyone asked them how they can make a glass that is compatible with all float (standard window) glass — and yet all float glass isn’t consistently compatible from manufacturer to manufacturer — or even from sheet to sheet?

Bullseye wouldn’t test every 5th sheet or so of their own glass if it was that easy.

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx