Dichro mess “Help”

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Dichro mess “Help”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bhali333
    Participant

Hi,

My name is Bruce I am new to fusing and brand new to this forum. I tried to fuse a piece of 2mm gold dichroic on clear to a black base, I placed the dichro face down. I am using a large microwave kiln and fired the piece for 6 minutes on high to get a full fuse and this is what happened.

Please click on the link to view a pic of the pendant.

glass-pendant

Bruce

glasself
    Participant

Hi Bruce,

I have never used a microwave kiln, so I can’t say for sure, but this piece looks burned to me.  One my early dichro experiments way over-fired, and that’s how mine looked.  Try less time, dichro is very sensitive to burnout.  Good luck!

eclairewl
    Participant

Bruce,

I don’t know where to begin but you did everything wrong.  To begin with microwave kilns tend to burn off the dichroic coating and are useful for making glass dots or fusing very small pendants. Never place the dichroic coating face down unless there is a specific project you are making..  I have been making fused glass jewelry for 11 years and have never done that except by mistake.

There are a lot of tutorials on how to make jewelry in the microwave kiln which can show you the proper technique.

Good luck.

Claire

wordana
    Participant

I think to say you did “everything wrong” is a bit of an overstatement. You can certainly fire dichro down, it just depends upon the look you are going for. However, given that dichro is a metallic coating, and that microwaves don’t like metal, I think you might meet with varying levels of success trying to fire it in a microwave kiln.(I’ve never used a uwave kiln, so no experience to share there0.

I agree that less processing time might help. Also, keep in mind that if you clear-cap the dichro, or if you fire face down, that some of the coating may migrate to the outsides edges and leave a slight “metal border” around the dichro piece which will look different than the rest of the dichro. In some instances, it can be a nice look, but it might also not be what you are going for. If you’re clear-capping, just cut the clear piece a bit larger.

Lastly, generally trying to fuse dichro face up to dichro face down will not work (metal to metal), unless you remove the edges of one piece so you are glass to dichro.

Dana W.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx