Devit problem in kiln

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Devit problem in kiln

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hardingaggies
    Participant

Hi,

I’m having a problem with my 14 in kiln (top elements).  I am repeatedly having devit on one side of the kiln.  I’ve cleaned everything and vacuumed it out, but still having the same problem.

When fusing cabs, here is the schedule I’m using:

300     900     15

500    1100     00

100    1250     30

AFAP 1475     18

AFAP  960      45

100     800      00

200     700      00

400     100     00

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Kind regards,

Wendy

http://www.wendyhardingdesigns.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve never heard of devit occuring differently in different parts of the kiln.  In a larger kiln I can imagine a scenario – but not in a 14″ kiln. 

I have a couple questions –

– what model kiln

– are you grinding the edges of your cabs?

– are you firing on shelf primer, shelf paper, ?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

hardingaggies
    Participant

Hey Paul,

I know! It’s weird, eh?  Been using this kiln for a few years and this is definately a new issue.

To answer your questions…

1.) Evenheat w/ Rampmaster II

2.) no grinding of glass at all

3) firing on shelf paper, but have been doing so for some time w/ no problems until now

Thanks!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay – here are a couple thoughts.  I’m not convinced any of them are correct – but it is the best I can come up with for possible reasons on getting devit in part of a kiln and not the rest.

– Are all the elements working?  Maybe having some elements out is causing significantly uneven heating in the kiln?

– Is anything going on on the inside of the lid (perhaps an element sagging into the groove) that is causing kiln brick dust to fall onto some of the work?  Brick dust can provide the “seed” for devit to grow.

– Is there anything about how the kiln shelf is supported that would cause one side of the shelf to cool much more quickly than the other side?

The only other thing I can think of is there is some subtle habit you have about loading the kiln that is the culprit.  Maybe you always load in the order of the spectrum (remember ROY G BIV?) which would put all the red pieces to the left.  Reds tend to devit more easily than most other colors.

These are all kind of wacky theories – but you have a wacky issue :-)   Have you done a controlled test to confirm the problem is what it appears to be?  For example, place 1/2″ square tiles across the whole shelf and fire to full fuse?  I’d use red opaque glass to maximize the results.

Paul

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx