Combined pottery and glass kilns

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Combined pottery and glass kilns

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kat321
    Participant

Hello, I am in the process of buying a pottery kiln.  I also create stained glass windows and have found a Rhode top loader TE100MCC that for an extra £200 approx one can buy a lid with filaments in for glass fusion etc.  I thought this could be fun without much extra expense.  However I have now been informed by a shop that one can fuse in any pottery kiln and the lid will make very little difference.  Does anyone have experience of this?  Is he just trying to sell me his kiln without the filaments in the lid?  Has anyone used the Rhode kiln for glass?  Many thanks if you can help.  Kat

wordana
    Participant

The bigger issue with a pottery vs glass kiln is that pottery kilns typically have “kiln sitters” but don’t have controllers. To properly fused anything in glass larger than about 2″ square, you are going to need (or at least will greatly appreciate) a digital controller.

Pottery is a “throw it in the kiln, bring it to temp, turn it off” kind of process. Glass needs to be ramped at a certain rate, held for periods of time at different points during the firing schedule, and allowed to cool slowly enough to keep the glass from thermal shocking or stress fracturing. This is very difficult to dowithout a digital controller.

Dana W.

Fused Glass Designs

dba Jester’s Baubles

http://jestersbaubles.blogspot.com/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx