Capping dichroic glass

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Capping dichroic glass

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    deborickj
    Participant

I am making a rectangular platter. It’s about 15.5″ x 7.5″. There are three 4.5″x4.5″ squares of etched dichroic glass down the center of it.  The first time I did it, I sandwiched the squares between a colored thin bottom layer and a thin clear sheet.  I wound up with a HUGE bubble between the layers of glass in the lower left corner of the center square.

I’m ready to try again, so I’m seeking advice before I fire it.  I want to protect the dichroic and have it be shiny, so I need to cap it in some way.  I’m using a much heavier clear sheet (3 or 4 mm) as my second layer.  So, do I A) Sandwich the squares between the colored and heavier clear sheet with a long bubble soak, B) Put the squares on top of the two sheet layers and cut thin clear to fit the squares, or C) Put the squares on top and cover the dichro with fine clear frit?

I worry that, with option ‘B’, the overall thickness would be too much.  I’m totally open to suggestions that I haven’t already thought about. The picture is of the unfired piece.

wordana
    Participant

Put small pieces of clear glass/frit in the outside edges so that the middle slumps first. Bubbles will be less likely to get trapped in the middle. And don’t forget the bubble soak.

Dana

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx