Can I use bisqueware for a slumping mold?

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Can I use bisqueware for a slumping mold?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JeffP
    Participant

Hi Everyone.

At a local club I can buy bisqueware that is used for making pottery for a very reasonable price, compared to buying glass molds. Not all bisqueware is suitable in shape, but some have great shapes and could work well for slumping, once a few holes are dilled.

But I am wondering if there is a catch. Is there any substantial difference between the bisqueware I can buy from a pottery supplies shop to a ceramic glass mold?

wordana
    Participant

In some instances the bisqueware may not be as flat on the bottom, but then some “high quality” molds you get aren’t either. You can use bisque, just make sure to drill a couple of holes in the bottom to let air escape. Drill from the top down, because it will chip out a little when you go through the other side.

Dana W.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

JeffP
    Participant

Thanks Dana. That’s good to know as there are a number of great bisque items that will make good molds. I will be sure toi check how it will sit and do the holes as well.

cherylka
    Participant

And Slumpy’s “studio” molds are bisque ware, FYI.

Sometimes it’s trial and error, but if you know what makes a good mold and aren’t scared of drilling, they are a great option. Many more choices. As a ceramic and glass studio, I often get a case of 12 plates to drill as molds for less than one bullseye mold. That said, I also have a large number of stainless and slump-only molds as well, to fill all of my needs.

cheryl

JeffP
    Participant

Hi Cheryl. When you say you get a case to dill as molds, is that because they need replacing often, or just your number of students?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx