Bud vase problems – Help needed

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Bud vase problems – Help needed

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Debby
    Participant

Hello, I am new to fusing, have been a lampwork bead maker for over 15 years.  I have a question regarding bud vases, it there a certain thickness of glass that needs to be used to drape/slump the vase?  I tried a vase with two fused two pieces of glass, it turned out more like a shoe than a vase.  My thought is that if I use a thinner glass and do not fuse two pieces together that it might work.  I just need the experts that have been doing this for a long time to help.

Thanks so much – Debby

Debby
    Participant

I meant slumping and draping the mold, the ones tried look like shoes and I am just wondering it it has to do with using two pieces of glass fused together, verses just a single piece of glass.

Thanks – Debby

marV
    Participant

I have a new draping mold and have never done this before. I too would like to know if it is better to use one layer of glass with possibly some decorative additions or is it better to use two layers? This mold is looks like an uneven star and is made of ceramic.

wordana
    Participant

IMO, all pieces look/feel better with at least two layers of glass.

I’m not certain I understand what technique you are using for a “bud vase”. Generally, the lower the temperature you drape/slump at, the better your results.

For draping over a floral former, I typically don’t go above about 1225. For drops, I start out at that temp, but often kick it up a few degrees after a while (that could be my impatience!)

Dana

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx