Bubbles in my fused glass pieces.

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Bubbles in my fused glass pieces.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Whenever I add something to the inside of a fused glass piece, when it fires in the kiln, I end up with a hugh air bubble overtop of whatever I put in the glass.  How do I prevent the glass from developing this bubble?  Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

wordana
    Participant

It’s all about finding a way to allow the air to escape.

1. Design the piece so air has a chance to escape — smaller pieces to cap rather than one large.

2. Use small pieces of glass on the outside edges between the top and bottom layer so that the middle of the top layer drops to the bottom layer of glass first, pushing air out toward the edges as it continues to drop. These are commonly called “chads”.

3. Incorporate a bubble squeeze into your firing schedule. Plenty of info on this site, other forums, and “google” about how to accomplish a bubble squeeze when fusing.

4. Your inclusions should be as thin as possible to avoid bubbles and also the glass breaking because of COE differences.

Dana W.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx