Brand new glass fuser

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Brand new glass fuser

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ammearth
    Participant

Sorry if this has been asked before …  I bought a kiln for glass fusing (Skutt kilnbox 8) and set it up in my computer/craft room — no garage or workshop is available.  I am currently waiting for delivery of a shelf before plugging it in and attempting my first project.  I am concerned about setting the area up safely.  I think I need to put a firebrick under the metal platform the kiln is sitting on — I’m not sure the platform is enough to keep the heat from creating a fire hazard.  Suggestions for safe set up would be deeply appreciated.  I am hoping to show some pieces at a craft show November 27th.  Thank you.

I have a kiln in my finished basement studio because I don’t have a garage or workshop either. I put a snap together tile in the studio so I feel safer with the kiln in the room. I don’t go anywhere when I fire it up either. It can’t hurt to be extra safe by putting firebrick under it if you can.

Vernelle
    Participant

My kiln is in a spare bedroom. The floor is carpet.  I went to Lowes and bought porcelein tile to cover the carpet underl the kiln.  Its been this way for 5-6 years without any problems.

Vernelle

petra kaiser
    Participant

Hi, welcome to the exciting world of glass fusing. You can get some ceiling tiles from any hardware store. They are not inflame-able – and easy to cut. Place one under your kiln and nail one to the wall behind your kiln. To my knowledge kilns keep the heat inside and I have not heard of any of them causing a fire. But using those ceiling tiles will give you peace of mind. As a beginner you might have gotten my book “Introduction to Glass Fusing” – let me know, if you have any further questions.

have fun

petra

petra kaiser – http://www.kaiserlee.com – Students Blog: http://www.myglassart.or

ammearth
    Participant

Thank you for suggesting diy solutions that are easy to do and great for my wallet.  Even more important, you’ve reassured me that I can use the kiln safely.  Your welcoming responses are appreciated.

Andrea

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx