bottle devitrification

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion bottle devitrification

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    winediva
    Participant

I have slumped many wine bottles and in my opinion you’re making this a little too complicated. Of course there’s many ways of slumping and we all just want to make sure we get good products for our customers in the end.

In my experience, it’s well worth the small amount of money to buy the devit solution. Here’s what i do:

once i get the label off the bottle, i also use Goo Gone if there’s any residue left on the bottle. I clean with windex making sure not to leave any fingerprints on the bottle. I put the bottles in the kiln and then put a LITE coast of Fuse Master Clear Coat on the top of the bottle only. Use sparingly as you don’t want the solution to run down the side of the bottle. If you do it will get on the back of the bottle and will not come off no matter what you do. It will turn white and very hard. I’ve tried drills, files, glass sand paper, dremel and nothing. If someone knows how to get this off i’d love to hear about it…

Anyway, the deal about using borax and waiting a day or so to fire sounds way too complicated and time consuming in my opinion.

I hope this helps. Happy Slumping!

EclecticTreasures
    Participant

I guess maybe this thread got a bit confusing, but I spray my bottles with borax and I only wait until they are dry – 30-60 minutes tops – before I fire. I don’t think I want to try firing with a devit spray that will leave a coating on the back that won’t come off…

Thanks for all the input.

Barb

ron44
    Participant

Ron Evans

I am just wondering what you could use to spray the bottles?  Possibly a bottle with spray attachment would work but I have never used the borax solution and don’t know the vicosity of it or how it would pass through the spray attachment . Any light you could shed on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

dolbyl
    Participant

Ron

I use a small 6 inch spray bottle purchased at Sally’s Beauty Supply.   I find the mist to be just perfect.

linda

ron44
    Participant

Thanks Linda for your quick response. I am sure I can find something like that in a local beauty supply.

Ron

EclecticTreasures
    Participant

I use a small plastic spray bottle I got in the cosmetic section at WalMart. Works just fine. The borax spray is just like water. It doesn’t get thick.

Barb

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx