bottle devitrification

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion bottle devitrification

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    kpearman
    Participant

I always seem to get a litll dev. when I slump any wine bottle. The program I use is

300F/hr to 900 & hold 30 min

AFAP to 1425F w/ no hold

AFAP to 960F & hold 30 min

50F/hr to 800F w/ no hold

100F/hr to 600F w/ no hold

400 F/hr to room temp

I use a olypic 13 inch square kiln.

When cleaning the bottle I scrape the lable off. I use goo be gone to eliminate the glue. Then clean well with 70 % isopropyl alcohol. Then a good cleaning with distilled water and dry with a terry cloth.

If anyone sees a way of improving my routine to eliminate dev. then please advise.

Thansk, Keith

citrusgirl
    Participant

after cleaning the bottles your way then re clean with a solution of borax and water. the slumped bottles should come out shinnySmile

lindafern
    Participant

I fuse alot of bottles and always use devit spray,  I actually apply it with a small paint brush.  It makes the bottles very shiny and pretty, totally elemniates devitrification.  only use it on the part of the bottle that is facing up.  Don’t put it on the part of the bottle that sits on the shelf.  I usually wipe the sides down alittle to be sure it is clean.  If you play with it you will figure out how to best apply it for the best outcomes.

Also, you might want to experiment with lower temps for other looks.  The higher temp gives a smoother look but they are also nice for trays with lower tempatures.   I like the full fuse for decorating and lower fusing for serving trays.

-Linda

kpearman
    Participant

I used the borax solution once before but I got terrible results with a lot of streaking. I apply the solution with a brush then let dry before firing. I will try to lighly buff the bottle next time with out removing much of the solution.

Thanks, Keith

LearningFusing
    Participant

I am not familiar with Borax,

(I am sure I know it, it just has another name in my country)

can anyone explain what it is and what it contains (chemical)?

Thank YouSmile

EclecticTreasures
    Participant

Borax is sometimes used as a laundry booster. It is also known as sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate.

Hope this helps!

Barb

EclecticTreasures
    Participant

I also am slumping a lot of bottles and am still having some trouble with devit on some of the them. I spray on the borax solution and let it dry. But I don’t wipe it down after that. I also have been spraying the back of the bottles.

So are you saying I should NOT spray the back and I should wipe the bottle down after the borax solution dries?

Thanks!

Barb

jobobeda
    Participant

Borax is a boro-silicate it brings in the element Boron  (look on periodic chart) which is one of the fluxes for glass and ceramic glazes.

The Borax mine is located in southern California, mined for the ceramics and Glass industry and sold retail as 20 mule team Borax soap.  A very common flux containing sodium as stated.  In solution with water, the Boron. when decanted can be used for healing devitrification leaving alumnia and silica behind in the container.  Colemanite is another borate from the same area of California.

I don’t know anything about fusing glass but, used to batch glass for glassblowing.

jb

LearningFusing
    Participant

Thank you for letting me know about Borax. Interesting Smile

I have still not found a similar product in Scandinavia,

SurprisedGood to know what to look for!

lindafern
    Participant

My experience has been if the devit solution is on the back of the bottle it doesn’t melt, it gets crystalized looking and I can’t get it off.  I am careful to only put it on the front of the bottle and I wipe dow the sides so there is minimal amout on the sides.    I have never used the borax solution, perhaps it doesn’t do that.  I bought devit spray and I paint it on with a small paint brush.  It really makes a beautiful bottle.

-Linda

EclecticTreasures
    Participant

I’ll keep experimenting with the borax solution, but I might have to break down and spring for the devit spray if it makes the bottles really shine.

kpearman
    Participant

Greetings all. I have not commented any more based on my original message because I wanted to flatten a few more bottles of varying colors to see the results. The first time I used the Borax solution I got a lot of streaking from the soution then never tried it again. I flatten several more bottles over the past few days using the Borax solution and got very pleasing results with good transparency and no noticable div.

I applied the solution with a brush to all sides and bottom and allowed it to dry well before firing. The bottom side did not show any adverse affects so I am not sure why it was mentioned that the down side should not be coated. I fired the bottles on  fiber board which allows better air flow under the bottle. Using thin fire paper or firing on the shelf itself may produce different results with a Borax coating on the underside so take this in mind. I have never tried the manufacture div spray so I do not know what to exoect from it. But anyway – I am gettting good results now,  thanks to all for the comments.

Keith

High rivers and clear skies

EclecticTreasures
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Keith. Very helpful information – I’ll keep trying. It may also have something to do with the type and shape of the bottle itself.

Barb

kpearman
    Participant

I have more information concerning bottle Dev. I prepeared several more bottles for firing over a few days. They came out with a lot of streaking and some white crusty spots on the down side. Earilier the bottles were coming out fine. The only difference was the I had let the the Borax solution dry on the the bottles for atleast a day before I fied them. I rinsed the Borax off the remaining bottles. I now let the Borax dry for  1 to 2 hours then fire. I am now back to getting good results. I am not sure just how long the Borax solution can remain on the bottles before firing but I would suggest firing them within a couple hours if possible since this is definitely a factor with Borax.

Keith

High rivers and clear skies

EclecticTreasures
    Participant

Keith,

Thanks for the update. A couple of weeks ago I had a similar experience. I prepped three bottles with borax and fired one that morning. I thought I’d get to the other 2 on my next 2 firings. The next morning I noticed that both bottles had white streaks. I’m not sure I would have noticed on a clear bottle, but both of these bottles were dark colored. I washed them off and decided not to treat with borax until just before I’m ready to fire.

Your experience has validated mine…

Barb

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx