best way to remove a thin ridge

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion best way to remove a thin ridge

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    MrsHancock
    Participant

Good morning, I am new member to this site but I have found it very helpful over the past year and only now have encountered a problem I am not sure how to handle.

The art teacher in another building and I are fusing eight 2-plate settings for a fundraiser for the new art museum for our nearby university. It has been going very well. We are using System96. We fused all 16 plates (mondrian-like pattern) face down as per instructions I found online. I used a solid shelf on thinfire. The other teacher fused four of hers on split shelves with thinfire, so the join between the shelves left a small ridge across the plate. She thought it would go away when slumping, but no it did not. So we have two slumped with a line, and two not slumped with a line.

So now what do we do? My best thought is to re-fuse the un-slumped one face down on my solid shelf (with thinfire paper of course) . She has tested grinding on a plate we’d rejected for other reasons, and it just leaves it matte, not grey and scratchy, so it would need another step. Since they are already fused, could I get away with re-fusing using two shelves, widely spaced and with my orton vent fan to aid in circulation?

However, is there a way to fix the two that are already slumped? It is a very shallow “swoop” slump. If we grind those, can I fire polish them in the slump molds? The molds have holes drilled.

At this point I’m looking at square wal mart dishes to fill in for the four missing plates.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx