Best flat lap cold working grinders.

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Best flat lap cold working grinders.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lucky S Studio
    Participant

Hi, I’m looking to acquire a free standing flat lap grinder with a grinding surface area of about 18″ and was wondering what the best one is and what experiences others have had on these machines.

I’m looking at a 24″ water jet design diamond grinder with variable speed option or 18 inch water jet from hisglassworks or a DG-18 diamond lap grinder from denver glass machinery.

The challenge I’m having is that the grinding and polishing pads are very expensive (so is the grinder) and I am not sure what grit sizes I would need to make the backs of my plates and bowls as smooth as a fire polish. I want to purchase as exact as possible the minimum amount of items I would need to get the results I want.

Thank you!

wordana
    Participant

My suggestion is to get a lap grinder where the disks mount to the wheel magneticly rather than the arbor in the middle. The magnetic-mounted disks provide more working surface.

I have a Glastar B4 with a 120 grit pad, a 400 grit, diamond resin pad, and a felt pad to be used with cerium oxide.

Dana W.

Jester’s Baubles Fused Glass Designs

http://www.jestersbaubles.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx