Beginner

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  haland 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

daughteroffire
    Participant

I am a beginner and looking at the Fuseworks microwave kiln. Will this hold me over until I can save for the bigger kiln.

Thanks

Becki
    Participant

In my opinion you’d be better off saving your money for a real glass kiln. You’ll be ahead in the long run.

aeshep
    Participant

I agree with Becki’s opinion.  Hold onto that $100+ bucks and look for a good, smallish kiln that’ll run on normal household current.  You’ll be thrilled you did!  Let us know if you need specific help.  I’ve just purchased two kilns recently, myself.  They were both worth the wait.

haland
    Participant

I’m only a new Member so joining this forum late but I’ve just done some experimenting with my 2 kilns – microwave & electric.   Conclusion microwave kilns should be banned!   You have no control over shapes, the dichroic colours can turn to mud, pieces can split & join onto others or just split the dichroic off the base glass, they make the dichroic roll over too.   I’ve also found that you can’t use kiln fibre to create holes, as it explodes.    There is no ability to anneal either.

Save your money for an electric kiln and try for a top opener if possible.   Mine is front opening & small so I’m limited with the pieces I can create ie. no bracelets.

Hope this helps & it is only my experimentation, others may have different results.

cheers

Helen

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx