Adventurine Glass

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion Adventurine Glass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    aglassygirl
    Participant

I am working with a large piece of Uroboros Avdenturine Green glass and I have not used it for a long while. I have forgotten if I am supposed to place it with the most sparkle face down or sparkle side up. Should I put the clear on top or bottom. I want the most sparkle as possible. Thank you

It is a 15 inch circle and will be a large bowl.

Tess

wordana
    Participant

Sparkle side up, if “up” is going to be your most prominent surface.

If you cap it with clear, there will be some “depth” to the piece. If you put the aventurine on the clear base, you get a “flatter” looking surface, but it may have more sparkle.

All depends upon the look you are going for. I would fire a couple of small test pieces.

I find aventurine a bear to cut.

Dana W.

wordana
    Participant

I responded yesterday, but my post didn’t “take” — seems to happen often on this forum. So.. I’ll try again!

It really depends upon the “look” you are going for. I prefer sparkle side up, if “up” is the predominant surface of your piece. If clear is on the bottom, then the aventurine has a bit of a matte surface. If clear is placed on top, it is shiny along with the sparkle, plus, you have a bit of depth to the piece.

I suggest some small test pieces to see which look will suit your design best.

FWIW, I find aventurine a BEAR to cut!!

Dana W.

aglassygirl
    Participant

It is a tough cut. I have a great circle cutter and everything else comes out perfect, but this was tough to break loose and I had to grind the “teeth” that were left. The piece came out beautiful and perfect.

Jim Perkin
    Participant

I just recently finished a kaleidoscope using aventurine green.  I fired the aventurine with the sparkle side up and capped with clear to a full fuse.  Then draped the sections over pieces of 2″ stainless pipe.  I love the way it came out and I agree with Dana it enhances the sparkle and adds a lot of depth.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx