add digital controller to skutt firebox??

Home Forums Glass Fusing General Fusing Discussion add digital controller to skutt firebox??

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  a4granny 12 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

hardingaggies
    Participant

I have been using a manual kiln w/ digital pyrometer (Skutt firebox) for a few years now and was wondering if it is possible to add an aftermarket digital controller to it.  It gets nerve wracking (and time consuming) having to stand and babysit the kiln for anything longer than a 45 minute to 1 hour soak.  That, among other things, creates some serious constraints on the creative juices.

I’m on a tight budget (aren’t we all?) and would love to be able to add to what I already have without having to go to the expense of purchasing a completely new kiln.   Any ideas?  Or… am I better off upgrading to a ‘big girl’ kiln with one already installed? 

Thanks!

Wendy

Anonymous

You could do something like this:

http://www.waleapparatus.com/catalog.asp?prodid=548214

But at that price you are getting close to the street price something like a new one of these:

http://www.paragonweb.com/CALDERA.cfm

You may be able to do better on the controller.  The above is an "all in one" solution — there are less expensive ways but it will require someone to do some rewiring of you kiln.  Not difficult – but still requires you know what you are doing.

– Paul

Paul
    FusedGlass.Org
    Helios Kiln Glass Studio
    PaulTarlow.com

hardingaggies
    Participant

Thanks, Paul.

I figured it would probably be easier just to purchase a new kiln.  I really appreciate the advice.  I feel like I can make a better educated decision now.

a4granny
    Participant

I just found time to catch up on my light reading and came across your post.  I too bought a glass kiln on a budget and soon wished I had popped for the extras.  I found a remote digital controller on the internet that has worked out really well.  I cost the same as if I would have had one added to the kiln when I bought it, but now I could actually purchase another budget kiln and use this with it too.  The probe fits into the peep hole on the kiln, you plug your kiln into it, turn on the switches, plug the romote controller into the wall and turn it on.  Once you have entered your segments, it takes over and runs the kiln.  You are able to program on the fly with it as well as skip segments at will.  I have been very happy with it.  Hope this is of help to you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx