Online retailers are great
Online retailers are great for the many people who don’t have a local supplier.
If you have a local supplier, purchasing glass in person has several advantages:
– no shipping/packaging fees
– see the glass before you buy it (especially nice if you are buying a handmade glass like Bullseye)
– support your local economy and art glass community
As a studio owner, I cannot emphasize the importance of the last item enough. Many stained glass studios have gone out of business due to customers buying products online. That may be the evolution of business (and I buy a lot of stuff online) but for some types of business the real lose is the customer. Maybe they saved 10% on prices but they gave up a local resource who could
– answer questions
– introduce them to new products
– offer classes in new techniques
– a gathering and meeting place for a like-minded community
Buying local isn’t a charitable thing – it is something to do because you will benefit directly.
Okay, off the soap box…
Helios Kiln Glass Studio