Fusing rods on oversize sheet glass

Hello, first post! :)

I'm working on a residential project which includes glass doors that exceed the maximum size of available fused sheet glass offerings from Bullseye- Their Chopstix Clear Base Collage would work for me but the largest available size is 35x20, and a number of my doors run to nearly 48". It would upset the design to add stiles, so hopefully I won't have to go that route.

One option would be to buy full sheets of fusible Tecta and bulk rods and have them custom fused. From looking around I haven't seen kilns large enough, and I would like to know if there is any way to get this done.

Edited to add that I am located in Oregon, so any West Coast help would be appreciated!


Contact Bullseye or Corning

Since you live on the west coast, it might be a good idea to contact Bullseye directly and tell them what you are doing. I know that Genesis makes a 36 x 60 kiln, but you didn't say you were looking to buy a kiln, just use one. There are several technical questions to deal with on a panel of the size you describe. Since Bullseye brings in artists to work with their glass, and has an architectural division, I'm sure the question has come up for them. If not Bulseye, you might try the Corning Museum. Again, they bring in world-class artists  to work within their studio and probably have the technical know-how and knowledge of what kilns are available.

I imagine there are issues of the size of the piece and the thickness of the glass itself that must be addressed when using it in an architectural setting, even if it's residential. I'm sure Bullseye might be able to address some of those and provide some ideas on how to obtain (through fusing or manufacture) the glass you need.

Good luck.






Thank you. Yes, I am looking

Thank you. Yes, I am looking to hire someone with a kiln to do the work for me, sorry I wasn't clear on that. I went into the Bullseye showroom in Portland, and they provided me with this website and the warmglass forum to see if I could find the info.

I see. . .

If you cannot find a glass artist to do the project, you might try looking for a potter, especially the commercial variety. Kohler here in Wisconsin invites artists around the world to use their kiln and since they make sinks and toilets, the work that comes out of their studio can be quite big. I know they've sponsored glass artists.

Just something to think of as you are waiting for a better answer.






Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.